amBX Smart Core is a powerful control software technology with a unique and innovative approach to the management of lighting that is designed for the new generation of digital and connected lighting.
amBX Smart Core delivers effective management of this new generation of digital and network-connected lighting for offices and public buildings. Its dynamic and real-time capabilities enables new ways to setup and manage lighting and to deliver an optimum lighting experience every time in changing conditions and environments without the need for intricate, time consuming and expensive programming. The amBX system is uniquely suited to the new networked and IoT lighting applications.
amBX Smart Core works by controlling the lighting in a single space or multiple spaces based around end-user needs whilst reacting to environmental factors such as levels of daylight, time of day, temperature, whether the space is in use or not and other relevant data. The system is then able to take account of all these factors and produce, in real time, the best implementation possible of the desired outcome using the light fittings that are available. In effect the software produces the perfect virtual implementation of the desired outcome and then projects the best representation possible of that in the real world using the lighting available.
“Complex programming has long been the Achilles heel of lighting control. The amBX system supports an extremely wide range of ways to interact with lighting making it easy to manage both simple and sophisticated lighting experiences. Controlling lighting using new LED lights in this way will enable building owners and users to use richer, bio-adaptive lighting in new ways to create healthier, more productive workspaces and environments,” explains David Eves, CTO, amBX.
The impact of lighting on human performance and wellbeing is becoming widely understood and these new systems will be able to deliver more appropriate lighting. Bio-adaptive lighting provides artificial light controlled in such a way as to match the needs of human biological cycles, or circadian rhythms – our physical, mental and behavioural changes that follow a roughly 24-hour cycle, responding primarily to light and darkness – in the most effective and appropriate way. It supports improved health and wellbeing and aspects of human behaviour that benefit from varied and changeable lighting, whilst supporting established energy saving technologies such as presence detection and daylight harvesting.
Although transferable to other sectors and services, development of the amBX technology has been primarily concentrated on the commercial lighting market until now. amBX Smart Core represents the application of patented amBX technology for the Connected Lighting market (lighting connected on Ethernet based networks), which is expected to gain rapid adoption in the office and public building lighting sector.
amBX technology manages the optimum lighting experience using the lighting devices available and works with a very wide range of lighting control protocols for maximum compatibility. Different types of light and different lighting control standards can be harmonised within the same space to deliver the desired experience. Because amBX is a software-based solution, the outcomes it produces are scalable across just a few lights, tens of lights or even hundreds or thousands of lights. No other lighting control system is able to do this. This ability to scale is fundamental to saving commissioning time.
amBX Smart Core has been developed for network connected lighting to deliver new ways to set up lighting, deliver the optimum lighting every time for changing conditions and environments and without the need for intricate, time consuming and expensive programming.
As an innovative and unique software based solution for lighting control, the benefits of using amBX Smart Core are many and include:
- Truly dynamic and reactive lighting control
- Optimum energy efficiency through effective lighting control
- Purposed for smart connected lighting and the IoT
- Optimum lighting experience every time
- Works with a wide range of new and existing lighting types
- Suitable for retro-fit as well as new build
- Rapid set-up and cost-saving commissioning process
- Flexible system with open integration for working with other building systems
- Includes bio-adaptive lighting for true human-centric lighting experience
- Scalable system from a single room to an entire building
- No programming required
For both building owners and users amBX Smart Core lighting control for connected lighting is both a new way to provide the best lighting experience possible whilst realising smart operating benefits and cost reduction.
How does amBX Smart Core work?
amBX Smart Core offers a fundamentally different approach to lighting control that breaks the traditional programmed link between control and device; the “if this, then that”, type of programming that has made systems time consuming to set up and inflexible to use. Built on the successful amBX Light-Scene Engine technology, It delivers high performance lighting control without the need for costly programming.
• amBX works by controlling the lighting in single or multiple spaces based upon end-user desires and environmental factors such as levels of daylight, time of day, temperature and data received from other sensors or systems.
• The software then takes account of all these factors and produces, in real time, the best implementation possible of the desired outcome using the lighting available to maintain the optimum lighting experience.
• By using a “perfect” virtual implementation of the desired outcome within the software the system can work with a wide variety of lighting types and protocols to deliver the best lighting experience in the real world
• amBX lighting experience outcomes - Light-Scenes - are scalable. Similar light scenes can be applied to a few lights, tens of lights or even hundreds or thousands of lights without additional work. No other lighting control system is able to do this. This ability to scale is fundamental to saving commissioning time.
Complex programming has long been the achilles heel of lighting control. Despite using a “no programming” approach amBX Smart Core supports an extremely wide range of ways to interact with lighting. From standard apps, physical keypads or switches and sensors, to remote Internet access its elegant and intuitive interfaces make it easy to manage both simple and sophisticated lighting experiences.